A lot of hardware porn going on
And hardware is important. A lot of what's been said is good -- ssd, ram, ethernet, no cd, nice display.
But a bootstrapped software stack is important too.
- gcc, firefox, chrome, git, svn, always.
- jdk, netbeans/eclipse, tomcat, maven for java devels
- ruby, rails, rvm, httpd, passenger, vim plugins for ruby devels
- httpd, vim plugins, firebug for js devels
- may want to also throw in andoid sdk as a java option, but keep it seperate because its big
But support would be key, especially with the bleeding edge stuff. Keeping stuff up to date for a low bar of entry would be good, and even those of us who do this for a living get tired of constantly having to make and chase down dependencies.