Dell Only Datacenter.
My idea is to have a datacenter where the entire Hardware is Dell or where all servers are Dell Servers. I worked as a Server Admin and a Change Coordinator for changes (os patching, os upgrades, hardware additions, replacing failed hardware etc.
A lot of time and effort is lost when a failed part needs to be replaced or server hardware needs to be upgraded(addition of drives, memory, replacing nic cards, hba cards etc etc.
Points to note.
1. No one on the Datacenter floor (the hands and feet team ) touches the servers or are not authoriesed to touch these servers, since they are from different vendors. Dell, HP, Sun, IBM.
2. If a part fails critical time is lost in ordering the part and waiting for the tech to arrive on site. Even for mission critical servers on an average 2 to 4 hrs is lost, and for non mission critical its sometimes greater than 24 hrs. Its mostly the hard drives that fail. Even though they are in raid configuration and hot swap. 8 out of 10 times the server does go down.
3. If the entire Datacenter is Dell, parts(most of the times its a hard drive or memory or nic or hba cards) can stocked on site, and most probably it will be a Dell employee or Dell certified employees on the DC floor, a part can be replaced in a matter of mts rather than hours.
4. No time wasted for the part to arrive and the tech to arrive, the tech will have to pick up the part from a certain location for some other third part ships the part to the datacenter.
5. And of course having all servers from Dell in DC means more sales for Dell.