Project Sputnik - I wish for...
What programs do you need?
- gEdit is a must!
- GIMP 2.8
- 8GB RAM as a minimum, preferably @ 1600MHz
- intel i7 Ivy Bridge dual core with power saving for better batterylife
- Improved battery - XPS 13 has good battery life, but it can be improved
- SSD with 256GB
What bugs me?
- Issues that are hard to fix myself, therefore I suggest you go with a LTS distro, like Precise Pangolin as it will get more support and faster updates
- Low resolution screens with bad colour accuracy. The XPS 13 has an okay screen, but if one was to use the laptop for CAD or artistic work, it would need better colour reproduction and higher resolution. Normal workflow is also hampered by low resolution, making 720p unattractive.
- intel GPUs, as they don't work properly with Linux as of yet. nVIDIA has traditionally had the GPUs with the least problems related to Linux. Everything seems fine when you're working with regular programs, but as soon as GPU power is needed, it's no fun.
- The support needed would be related to hardware, as the software issues are taken care of by the Linux community. It would be wise to have capable DELL represants to guide customers to the right place, though.
- Support for the drivers for touchpad, web cam etc.