Provide a lot of technical information about the laptop
Having done another round around the web searching for my ideal developer laptop, I noticed another thing that would make me more eager to buy a specific model: a lot of technical information available about it in one place. Sadly, this only happens when the users publish the information they have gathered. It would be much better if Dell published it all.
- a photo next to something of known size, so that I can compare the scale
- a clear photo of the keyboard layout
- photo the ports layout
- clearly tell me how many monitors I can connect to it (sometimes when there are 2 video outs, only one of them works at a time)
- list the models and chipsets of all the parts used
- how loud is the fan, hdd, keyboard, how hot can it get
- a photo of the interior, perhaps a step-by-step teardown
- a list of all repleacable parts (memory, disks, expansion slots inside)
- a specification of compatible parts would be awesome
- example photos/videos taken with the webcam
- measurments of the screen brightness and colors
- photos (next to something of known size) of all the versions of the power units
- a photo of a keybaord with someone's hands on it
- listings of lshw, lspci, lsusb, dmidecode, etc.
- a honest list of the hardware accessories known to be problematic with this laptop
Surely, this information cannot possibly be secret, as any owner of the laptop can collect and publish it -- and indeed, many do, in official and unofficial reviews and help forums. It would, however, be much better to have it published from the beginning by Dell in one place -- it would surely make me much more confident in my choices, and also save me a lot of work hunting for that information.