DELL XPS 15zx - the real MacBook killer!
The DELL XPS 15z showed that DELL can make thin and good looking laptops with quality parts for a much nicer price than what Apple can. In order to show that you really mean business, you need to fine-tune this wonderful model.
Presenting the DELL XPS 15zx!
- intel Ivy Bridge i5/ i7 QM
- OLED 1920x1200 (16:10), matte 15'' screen: since OLED screen use more power than LCD screens when showing white colours, there should be a program included where you can change the intensity of the white colour to save some power.
Full white intensity
Adjust the intensity with a percentage bar
Auto-adjustment of the intensity when you have a mostly white screen - this option can be further customized with a percentage bar for what the intensity should be set to when you have a white screen.
OLED uses less power when showing colours and especially black, so this could be a great solution to the problem. One can always dim the screen, but that's a common feature. This, however, would make DELL XPS 15zx extra special
- no logo beneath the screen and the logo on the lid is moudled as part of the lid instead of being a plastic "sticker"
- JBL speakers
- USB 3.0 x 4
- designed like the DELL XPS 13 with improved cooling including carbon fibre bottom, improved ventilation and cooling paste - NO SHINY GORILLA GLASS- better cooling with less noise than the 14z
- real metal chrome trim or a design without the trim
- sturdier lid without flex
- high quality plastic or metal bezel - no glossy finish!
- nVIDIA 600 series GPU with Optimus technology as standard - a GTX 600 series GPU as an option
- slot-load optical drive with optional Blu-ray support
- 2MP webcam
- 9-cell battery
- better backlight - only the signs should be lit up, not the space between the keys
- options for other wireless cards
- Creative Sound Core3D - quad core sound and voice processor
- standard keyboard layout - like the DELL XPS 15, but with the XPS 13 color scheme
The Keyboard will look similar to the keyboard v.2.0 on the DELL XPS 15.
Note the smaller speaker grills for added keyboard space:
To give justice to the JBL speakers the DELL XPS 15zx will come with, if it becomes reality, a decent sound card is needed. Instead of going for a dedicated sound card, you could implement the Creative Sound Core3D, a quad core sound and voice processor which comes with low power consumption and many neat features in addition to a compact design.
Who would even consider a MacBook Pro if you get this right? :)
Status Update: This Idea has been partially implemented with the release of the new XPS 15. Please see bill_b's comments for further information. Thank you for posting!
Most necessary upgrades of xps 15!