What users want in the m18x R2
I create this topic to gather what user (or prospective users) wants to find in the future m18x R2.
IN RED what's absolutely needed (Point known to prevent the purchase of m18x)
Evidently no need to say that we always want the best CPU and better GPU configuration. It is obvious and D/AW has been well understood.
I'll update this first post with what you want.
1) Optimus and/or iGPU/GPU 's(SLI or CF) switch without reboot pain
2) RGB-LED or IPS RGB-LED @ 120Hz 3D screen (Nvidia 3D vision 2 with Light Boost)
3) Bigger screen that fit 16:10 natural ratio at 1920x1200 reolution
4) Matte/Anti glare screen for all type 60Hz and 120Hz (And not a matte paper sticking to add !)
4b) Look at that anti-glare glass : http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/31/i...-as-food-in-t/
4c) Look at that high-resolution Lotus glass :http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817...id=kLDVIar-dcD
5) No ghost keys when using keyboard (Allow 3 simultaneous key pressed)
6) No flex Keyboard (particularly in the center).
7) 2, 3 or 4 all copper heatsink option for the CPU & GPU
8) 2 THUNDERBOLT port replacing the Displayport and the very OLD VGA ouput.(THB is fully compatible with DP)
9) Only USB3 port and at least 6 port, and located on the left side (because of the problem using the mouse).
10) Better front camera
11) JBL speaker (that apparently sound great better)
12) Easy way to access component (RAM(4 Slots), GPU, CPU)
13) A tray loading optical drive.(No CD stuck and the ability to remove it to put more HDD / SDD )
14) A docking station (with an integrated cooler)
15) Blue-Ray Burner
16) Change the 4 pin jack setup for the fans, they are too fragile.
17) Integrate Fingerprint reader
18) No contact between the screen and the touchpad ring when lid is closed
19) A small LCD screen to view all temperatures, speeds and memory (GPU, CPU, RAM, SSD,...), integrated or external USB version.
20) 4.0 bluetooth
21) HDMI 1.4a and a bit more "firmness" and-Adding a set of features i.e recording
22) Better RAM options, like 4x4Gb 2133Mhz @ 9-9-9-27
23) Optional full-sized keyboard to consume the space occupied by TactX keys.
24) Dedicate button to control the brightness
25) Fn Key or button to set on/off the screen
26) Do an AC connector at 90° so that it's parallel with the laptop.
27) Do the AC connector has a much better clip to avoid unwanted disconnections. (Maybe a slide-lock)
28) Dust filters, easy to remove and wash for a better protection of the hardware
29) A Firewire port (often used for the effect pedals, or music interface)
30) More Keyboard layout options (wirhour Tactix, without numpas, with mor larger touch, ...)
31) Easy GPUs interchange, by mean of a slot in which we can plug/unplug GPUs. (allow Quadro or similar and CF/SLI 4 Gamers + big upgradability) (more info here)
COSMETIC & SERVICES
1) Much better (and transparent) manufacturing & pre-sell/packaging testing QC (Quality Control)
2) Total user fan control
3) No dead pixel assurance
4) Control the color LED on the Alienhead on the back.
5) More of the AW stuff done in hardware so there don't need to be 70-90 processes running just for the cosmetics.
6) Capabilities to choose a color only for AWSD (QWERZ version ) and to have a separate colors for function touch like F1 to F4 evidently if it's possible the capabilities to choose the color for each different key would be the top.
7) CPU & GPU Artic Cooling repasting service
8) More color option for the body of the m18x (Lunar, Yellow, ...)
SOFTWARE & Issue to be resolved
1) No more Aero bug (Last OSD update resolve this )
2) OSD more quik to load and stop
3) Do something for the Nvidia Throttling (DEll actually work on it, and there's already a good évolution with the last vbios )
4) Macro keys working 100% of the time
5) No DPC latency
6) No 3D Prototype Overlay
You can follow and tel us what you want in a thread on NBR:
Status Update: This idea is has been Partially Implemented. Please see Francisco_S' comments for further information. Thank you for posting!