Help us redesign our Support page for home users
Duration: Dec 12, 2009 - Jan 16, 2010
As part of our effort to serve you better, we are redesigning our main support page for home users. Your input is crucial in designing a page that best meets your needs.
Please visit the Dell Support Home Page and review our current design. Then give us your ideas on what design improvements you would make and why.
Simplify the Dell support home page
To begin with Dell wastes valuable space with huge borders, large icons and too much wording. Here's a shot of what is taking up about 70% of the viewable space without scrolling.
1. The Dell banner at the top of every page is too large and takes up about 15% of the screen. Shrink the main Dell Banner by taking out some of the dead space.
2. There is no need for the bold titles above the icons since the wording underneath explains it, remove them and save some space.
3. Shrink the border around the icons as well since it isn't needed.
4. Above the icons you have a whole live taken up by "Support station by Dell". Are you afraid that people will forget they are on a Dell site when you still have that HUGE Dell banner taking up about 15% of the page ? Change the phrase to "Support Station" and then you will have room to move the Icons up and save more space.
5. There are way too many options on the left side of the page which makes everything look cluttered. Turn it into a collapsable list under each title to clean things up a bit.
Doing this will allow some of the other options to move up the page and become visible without scrolling. After you fix that I can give you some feedback to clean up the bottom half of the page.
Per jervis961: Dell at least cleaned up the huge banners and took out the border around the main icons. This freed up space to show more information on the screen without scrolling which was my main point.